Registration — Rejection Reasons
With effect from 10 January 2011 a fee of £30 is introduced for applications that are rejected prior to being accepted onto the Land Register. Between 8% and 10% of all applications submitted for registration are rejected by the Keeper, often due to errors that could be easily avoided such as problems with the cheque or payment, registration forms or SDLT.
- Unsigned /undated
- Not made payable to the Keeper
- Words and amount don’t match
- More than 6 months old
- Post dated cheque
Insufficient Funds (Cheque/Cash only)
There is no flexibility to retrieve additional monies.
The Keeper's preferred option is Direct Debit which offers more flexibility.
- Incorrect form
- Missing form, this includes a Form 4
- Incomplete form, not all questions have been answered
- Forms not signed or dated
For transactions which require notification to HMLR and are subsequently submitted for Registration without a SDLT or with an incorrect SDLT will result in the application being rejected.
Ensure your application is appropriate to the Land Register.
Deed of Variation (for First Registrations only)
If submitting a Disposition and Deed of Variation, you must also submit the Security deed being varied, along with a Form 2 and fee.
The deed contains Real Burdens but has not been submitted for contemporaneous registration against both the burdened and the benefited properties, as required by section 4 (5) and section 120 of the Title Conditions (Scotland) Act 2003.
The deed contains Real Burdens, but does not employ the expression "real burden" or another nameable real burden, as required by Section 4(2)(a) of the Title Conditions (Scotland) Act 2003.
The deed contains real burdens, but does not nominate and identify the land which is to be the benefited property, as required by section 4(2)(c) of the Title Conditions (Scotland) Act 2003.
Title Number omitted or incorrect
An application for registration shall not be accepted by the Keeper if a deed which is executed after that interest has been registered, does not bear a reference to the number of the title sheet of that interest.
Transfer of Engagements
Following the Transfer of Engagements between creditors, the Keeper may reject all applications made on behalf of the prior named creditor. (see Transfer of Engagements for more guidance).
If your organisation has more than one FAS No. please ensure you use the appropriate number for your intended payment method.
- Does not enclose the deed (or deeds) that is to be registered;
- Is for the registration of a deed containing a plan that is not docketed in conformity with section 8 of the Requirements of Writing (Scotland) Act 1995;
- Is for the registration of a Disposition by the granter(s) to themselves in the same capacity (A to A, A and B to A and B etc) other than to discharge or waive a survivorship destination;
- Is made by a party other than a solicitor or licensed conveyancer and is not accompanied by the requisite RoS ID Form;
- Is an application for voluntary registration that has not been agreed in advance with the Keeper (in these circumstances, the Keeper may exercise her discretion as to whether such applications are to be rejected.