Average price of a property in Scotland up 4.9 per cent on previous year.
- Registers of Scotland is the government department responsible for compiling and maintaining registers relating to property and other legal documents in Scotland. Registers of Scotland records and safeguards the rights of the individual while providing open access to information on the registers.
- The UK HPI is now published on the second or third Wednesday of each month with Northern Ireland figures updated quarterly. Previously these figures were published on the second or third Tuesday of each month with Northern Ireland figures updated quarterly. See the calendar of release dates. Further information on this change is available in this statement.
- For the full picture and detail, access the UK HPI and the HPI Scotland. As with other indicators in the Housing Market, which typically fluctuate from month to month, it is important not to put too much weight on one month’s set of house price data.
- A blog post by Rhys Lewis from the Office for National Statistics has been published explaining why there are revisions to UK House Price Index data and what is being done to make provisional estimates more accurate. An accompanying article has also been published which focuses on the amendment made to the estimation model when calculating the provisional estimate in the UK HPI and the impact of this change.
- We have published the Quality Assurance of Administrative Data (QAAD) documents for each of the data sources used in the UK House Price Index.
- In addition to the enhancements to the UK HPI that were summarised in the anniversary news release, a comparison guide has been produced that compares the source data, index and methods of the different house price index measures that are published in the UK. This guide highlights the strengths and limitations of each measure to aid users in choosing the most appropriate index for their requirements.
- Registers of Scotland published our Property Market Report 2007-08 to 2017-18 last month, detailing trends in the land and property market over the reporting period. Our most recent Calendar Year Market Review 2017 was published in March 2018.
- The statistics have been produced in accordance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. The UK House Price Index is calculated by the Office for National Statistics and Land & Property Services Northern Ireland. Find out about the methodology used.
- Data for the UK House Price Index is provided by HM Land Registry, Registers of Scotland, Land & Property Services Northern Ireland and the Valuation Office Agency.
- Separate HPI releases are also published by HM Land Registry and Land & Property Services Northern Ireland, which focus on the figures for England and Wales and for Northern Ireland. The Office for National Statistics also publishes a monthly HPI statistical bulletin with commentary on the whole of the UK.
- Download the data. Datasets are available as CSV files, or create your own reports using the UK HPI search tool.
The new UK HPI was launched in June 2016 initially as an experimental official statistic to allow for users to acclimatise to the format of the new HPI, to evaluate user reaction to the new data, evolve the publication of data further to meet user requirements and to further develop the data sources used in the production. We removed our experimental statistic status from 13th February 2018.
Further information about this change in status and the improvements introduced to the UK HPI since its launch can be found in section 1.1 of About the UK House Price Index. The HPI working group will continue to progress with the assessment of the UK House Price Index as a National Statistic.
Please note that the Northern Ireland Residential Property Price Index, used as a component source in the production of the new UK HPI remains an Official Statistic.
- On Thursday 23 November 2017, the Office for Statistics Regulation (OSR) confirmed the UK HPI will be designated as National Statistics if 8 requirements are addressed. Further information about the OSR assessment is available in a news release published by our partner HM Land Registry.
- Registers of Scotland began compiling quarterly statistics on the housing market with the completion of the extension of the Land Register to all counties in Scotland in April 2003. The differences in methodology between our quarterly statistics and the HPI are highlighted here. Charts are also available on our website to allow comparison between the two statistical outputs and to explain the key differences.
- Follow us on Twitter @RegistersOfScot, Facebook and LinkedIn . Sign up for our customer newsletter.