This section looks at titles outwith UK by type of owner and the location of the owner address
The chart below shows that for titles with an owner address outwith the UK:
- the majority (84% or 23,209 titles) were individuals (i.e. one or more natural persons)
- limited companies accounted for 11.6% (or 3,192 titles)
- trustees and limited partnerships accounted for 2.8% (784 titles)
- 1.6% (450 titles) had a combination of owner types
It is not possible to determine whether the reasons for owning or leasing property or land in Scotland is due to the intention to immigrate, or for other purposes such as second or holiday homes, accommodation for family members studying or working in Scotland, or as investments.
Percentage of titles with owner address outwith UK by type of owner as at 31 December 2021
Titles with owner address outwith UK by worldwide location
This map shows 9 out of the top 20 locations where owner addresses for outwith UK titles in Europe.
This map shows 5 out of the top 20 locations where owner addresses for outwith UK titles in Asia.
The 6 remaining locations were:
- New Zealand
- United States of America
- British Virgin Islands
- South Africa
Addresses were classified to 164 locations worldwide, excluding the UK and you can download the data from the list of tables.
Other key findings for owners outwith the UK by type of owner
- Individuals accounted for 82% or more of outwith UK titles in 16 of the top 20 outwith UK locations (country, Crown dependency or overseas territory)
- limited companies were the majority owner type in the remaining 4 countries (Jersey, Isle of Man, British Virgin Islands and Guernsey)
- More than half (60%) of all titles owned or leased by companies from outwith the UK were accounted for by these four locations
- Almost all titles with owners from the British Virgin Islands, for example, related to limited companies (92%)