Change a name on the land register

You can request that we update the land register to reflect a change to your name.

Updating the register is a process controlled by law.

You can notify us of a change of name using our notification of inaccuracy form (PDF, 390KB).

The form illustrates our requirements when considering a rectification.

Use of the form isn't mandatory. But we encourage its use since the standardised questions will help you provide all the information we need.


You should provide evidence that supports your change of name request.

For example, for an individual, we need to see evidence linking the person in their new name and the affected property.

This could be:

  • an address and former address written in a sworn statement or written confirmation
  • a letter from a solicitor confirming it is the same individual

The onus is on the party requesting a change of name to identify all affected title numbers.

Other resources

Detailed guidance on changing your name in the land register

Was this page helpful?