Discharge a mortgage deed from the land registers

When you've paid your mortgage in full you should arrange to have your standard security discharged and removed from our registers.

The preparation of deeds is a legal process. We strongly recommend that you contact a solicitor.

Mortgages, securities and discharges

In Scotland, when you arrange a mortgage you must sign a document called a standard security. Your mortgage lender will then send the security deed to us to add to one of our property registers.

Standard securities attach the debt that you owe to your lender to your property. This gives your lender some control over any sale or transfer of your property.

It also gives your lender power to recover the debt from your property if you fail to pay what you owe.

Once you’ve met the repayment terms of a standard security, the security must be cleared from our registers. This is done by discharging your standard security.

Mortgages and discharges over property in England and Wales are registered by H M Land Registry

When to discharge your security

You should arrange to discharge your standard security after:

  • you are notified that your mortgage account is clear
  • you sell a mortgaged property

You should arrange to register a discharge as soon as possible after you clear your mortgage. Not doing so can create problems with:

  • selling your property
  • taking out a new mortgage over your property
  • passing your property on to someone else should you die

Your standard security will stay on our registers until a discharge is submitted to us.

It is up to you to arrange for a discharge of your standard security. Your lender will not provide one when confirming that your mortgage account is clear

How it works - with a solicitor

Most discharges follow the same route:

  1. Your mortgage lender writes to you to say that your mortgage has been paid off
  2. You instruct your solicitor to prepare an application to discharge the standard security
  3. Your solicitor sends the discharge to your lender for signing
  4. Your lender signs the discharge, confirming that you've paid your mortgage in full, and returns it to your solicitor
  5. Your solicitor sends the signed discharge to us, along with the necessary application form and fee
  6. We check and process the application, then update the relevant register, removing your standard security
  7. We tell your solicitor that the standard security has been discharged

How it works - without a solicitor

For some transactions, you can submit the deed yourself.

The submitting party must ensure that the property transaction and deed meet the appropriate legal requirements.

We cannot give you any advice on how to draw up a deed. We advise you to consult a solicitor about any transaction you are undertaking.

You will need to establish if the property is on:

You can search the land register by postcode for free.

If you can't find the property you're looking for, you can ask us to conduct a search.

Once you have established the register, you’ll need a discharge deed to remove the charge.

You will need to include the appropriate forms and fees:

If you are not a conveyancing solicitor, you will also need to submit an identification form.

You should submit your application to:

Registers of Scotland
Meadowbank House
153 London Road


Our fees for the registration of a discharge are:

  • £50 for digital applications
  • £60 for paper applications

We charge a £30 fee if we have to reject your application.

Your solicitor will also charge a fee for preparing your application and sending it to us.

Find a solicitor through the Law Society of Scotland.

Was this page helpful?