Our websites place small temporary files known as ‘cookies’ onto your computer to collect information about how you interact with them, and make them easier to use.
- remember your preferences and personalise your experience as you move around the sites
- measure website visitor usage via Google Analytics
- analyse how people use the site via hotjar
- remember when you've accepted our terms and conditions so that we don't show the message again
- allow embedded maps and videos to function correctly
Find out more about cookies at allaboutcookies.org.
Some cookies are essential for the correct operation of our services, for example session cookies in our online services portal. They are used by the server to maintain session data, and keep you logged in during transactions.
We cannot identify you personally through any cookies.
We use hotjar cookies to create pop-up surveys.
If a hotjar survey is active, it issues several cookies to make sure:
- you are only invited to participate once
- if you answer a survey you're not invited again
- if you opt out of answer a survey you're not invited again
- if you minimise the survey it doesn't keep popping up
Find out more about hotjar cookies.
Other hotjar tracking software
From time to time we will use other types of hotjar software on our websites to allow us to aggregate and analyse site usage.
Hotjar tracks a limited, randomised selection of site interactions, and aggregates them to create a visual 'heatmap'. It does not collect any user data. We use it to identify any difficulties site visitors are having with the pages and make improvements.
- length of time users are on the site
- pages visited
- type of devices used (for example mobile, desktop or tablet)
- users' clicks, taps and scrolling
Find out more about hotjar heatmaps.
The Cookie Control tool is used on some of our websites to remember your cookie consent preferences and not ask for your consent again when you return to the site.
Read more about Civic Cookie Control.
Managing your cookies preferences
You can change your cookies preferences at any time. Read more about how to manage cookies on your computer.