Agricultural tenants' right to buy

This part of the register is governed by the Agricultural Holdings (Scotland) Act 2003. This allows agricultural tenants to register a notice of interest over the agricultural land they lease so that they can buy it if it becomes available for sale.


Only tenants who hold an agricultural tenancy in terms of the Agricultural Holdings (Scotland) Act 1991 are eligible to register their interest in the RCIL.

Tenants with:

  • short limited duration tenancies
  • limited duration tenancies
  • grazing or mowing leases

do not qualify.

Register an application

To register an application, send a completed application form to one of our customer service centres.


We charge fees for registering a notice of interest in the RCIL.

Want to know more?

Read our guidance, or contact us at one of our customer service centres.