Crofting Register

A public register of crofts, common grazings, and land held runrig.

You can:

Like the land register, the Crofting Register is map-based. It shows:

  • defined extents of land and property on the ordnance survey map
  • information on the tenant or owner-occupier on the land
  • information on the landlord or landowner

Under the Crofting Reform (Scotland) Act 2010, the Crofting Commission is responsible for crofting regulation in Scotland. We’re responsible for the registration of crofts.


Registration of a croft is compulsory on the occurrence of certain events, such as the assignation or division of a croft. The Crofting Register is also open to voluntary registrations from individuals and communities.

You should submit your application for the registration of a croft to the Crofting Commission in the first instance.

The fee for the first registration of a croft is £90.

Find out more about the croft registration process.


We're committed to supporting and promoting community registration of crofts. We provide support to crofting communities through technical workshops, stakeholder meetings, email and telephone guidance, and the provision of Ordnance Survey extracts as the basis for a community map.

View our extensive suite of Crofting Register guidance for help with registration, searches and other topics.

For further information and enquiries, get in touch.


Phone: 0131 659 4513

Was this page helpful?