FOI release: Fair trade purchasingPublished: 15 July 2022
Freedom of information class: How we procure goods and services
Information request under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA).
FOI reference: CW-2022-228
Date received: 22 July 2021
Date responded: 15 July 2022
You asked for:
- Information regarding annual fair trade purchasing within Registers of Scotland from 2020/21 to 2021/22.
- A copy of our general policy on the procurement of fairly and ethically traded goods and services, in line with section 15(5)(b)(v) of the Procurement Reform (Scotland) Act 2014.
Registers of Scotland have not ordered any fair trade goods directly within the stated time periods. We do however promote this down through our supply chains where appropriate. Fair trade statements are included in our invitations to tender. Below is an example from our current catering contract.
RoS seeks to support the following in food procurement:
- Farm Assurance including schemes such as Red Tractor, RSPCA Freedom Food, LEAF marque and the National Dairy Farm Assured Scheme .
- fairtrade, ethically traded and triple accredited schemes, specifically in relation to tea, coffee and chocolate.
- fish from sustainable sources, as approved by MSC and/or approved fish farm producers.
- poultry - to Grade “A” quality standard, UK as a minimum.
- eggs, or products containing eggs – UK Lion Quality ‘CLASS A’ or equivalent. Fresh eggs must be from free range hens.
- beef and lamb – Product from Scotland, any other UK or EU country. Originating from a Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) scheme or higher which contains annual, independent farm and processor scheme inspections accredited to European EN45011 standards.
Learn more in our:
Find out more
Learn more about our freedom of information releases.
Information Governance Team: FOI.Requests@ros.gov.uk
If you would like documents included in this FOI response in an accessible format, please contact us with your preferences.