FOI release: Multi-Functional Devices and printing/scanning services contractsPublished: 17 August 2022
Freedom of information class: What we spend and how
Information request under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA).
DocumentsOrder forms redacted - (368.3 KB)
FOI reference: CW-2022-266
Date received: 14 July 2022
Date responded: 2 August 2022
You asked for information the authority's current Multi-Functional Devices and printing/scanning services contract(s)
- What services are included in the contract(s)? (e.g. printing vs scanning etc)
- Which supplier is delivering them? (If in-house, please confirm or if multiple provider please identify them)
- How many contracts does this entail and what's the award value for each?
- When do these contracts expire and do they have any extensions?
- What is the annual volumetric data (split by Annual Mono and Annual Colour print)?
- What is the total number of devices supplied?
- What Managed Print Service software solution do you use?
- How many Mono MFDs and Colour MFDs do you have?
- What document management solution do you use?
- What High Volume printing devices do you use?
- Were any framework agreements used to procure the goods/services? If so, which ones?
- Any documentation you can provide me with, e.g. the order form
- What department is managing the contract and who's the decision-maker?
- How many Adobe Acrobat (standard, professional and reader) licenses do you have?
- What is the annual cost?
- When is the renewal date?
- Who is responsible for the contract?
- Do you use any other PDF editing tools?
1. RoS has three contracts, one for Multi-Functional Devices and two for scanning services. Please see details below:
- The MFD contract lease is for printing and scanning equipment including support and maintenance
- The Outsize Plans Scanner contract is for maintenance cover for two scanners
- The IBML Scanner contract is for hardware and software support for two scanners
2. Capital Document Solutions Limited is the incumbent supplier for our MFD contract and Outsize Plans Scanner support and maintenance contract. Computacenter is the incumbent supplier for our IBML Scanner hardware and software support contract.
3. We currently have three contracts. The award value for each is:
- MFD contract – £39,740.00 excl. VAT (Year 5 of 5 award value)
- Outsize Plans Scanner – £2,015.00 excl. VAT (Year 3 of 3 award value)
- IBML Scanner - £35,718.06 excl. VAT
4. The expiry and extension details are:
- MFD contract expires on 28th March 2023, there are no extensions available as we are currently within our final 12 month extension.
- Outsize Plans Scanner support and maintenance cover expires on 31 October 2022, there are no extensions available as we are currently within our final 12 month extension.
- IBML Scanner Hardware and Software Support expires on 26th July 2022, we are currently evaluating bids following our tender opportunity published on Public Contracts Scotland for support for a further 12 months.
5. The annual volumetric data has varied throughout the contract period:
Volumes have reduced due to the print credit we have obtained throughout the contract.
6. In 2018, when the contract began, we had 49 MFDs. This has reduced throughout the contract period to 19 in the final 12 month extension. There are two Outsize Plans Scanners covered in the maintenance contract and two IBML Scanners supported.
7. Our MFD Contract uses Equitrac Software and our MFD Contract uses Ricoh @Remote.
8. RoS has 19 Mono Colour MFDs.
9. RoS is currently undergoing a move to Microsoft SharePoint.
10. Our strategy is to remove generation of paper artefacts wherever possible and so we no longer class anything as “high volume”. Our highest capacity devices are Ricoh MP 9003SP.
11. The frameworks used to procure the services are:
- MFD contract – Scottish Procurement ICT Products, Office Equipment Framework (SP-16-013)
- Outsize Plans Scanner Support and Maintenance – Scottish Procurement ICT Products, Office Equipment Framework (SP-16-013)
- IBML Scanner Hardware and Software Support – CCS Technology Products and Associated Services (RM6068) Framework, Lot 1 – Hardware & Software & Associated Services
12. I enclose a copy of the information you requested. ‘Order form_Redacted’ includes a year 5 of 5 MFD contract and a year 3 of 3 Outsize plans scanner contract.
Third party personal data has been redacted, as this is exempt under Section 38(1)(b) (personal information) of FOISA. This exemption applies because the release of this information would contravene the fair and lawful principle of data protection legislation.
While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance we are unable to provide some of the information you have requested because an exemption under section 33(1)(b) (Substantial prejudice to commercial interests) of FOISA applies to that information. The information in question is the pricing within the quote for the prices per page for the mono and colour printing. The reason this exemption applies is that providing this information would be likely to substantially prejudice the commercial interests of Capital Solutions as it would give competitors an advantage and therefore affect their ability to provide competitive submissions in future.
This exemption is subject to the public interest test, and we feel that the balance of public interest lies in withholding this information. While there is public interest in transparency by public bodies, there is a compelling public interest in maintaining confidentiality of commercially sensitive information such as pricing information in order to maintain an effective, competitive tender process which allows public bodies to ensure best value for money when entering into contracts with suppliers.
13. The MFD Contract and the IBML Scanner Hardware and Software Support is managed by our IT enablement department and the decision maker is Head of IT Enablement.
The Outsize Plans Scanner Support and Maintenance is managed by our procurement department and the decision maker is Head of Procurement and Estates.
14. RoS has the following Adobe Acrobat licences:
- 100x Adobe Acrobat Professional Licences
- 1 x Adobe Stock Team Licensing Subscription
- 4 x Adobe Captivate Enterprise Licenses
- 5 x Illustrator CC Enterprise Licenses
- 2 x Photoshop CC Enterprise Licenses
- 20 x Creative Cloud – All Apps – Enterprise Licenses
- 4 x Dreamweaver CC Enterprise Licenses
15. The annual cost for these Adobe licenses is £48,467.20.
16. The Adobe Acrobat professional licenses do not have a renewal date because these are perpetual licences. The renewal date for the remaining licences is 2 March 2023.
17. Head of IT enablement is responsible for the Abode Acrobat contracts.
18. We also use ABBYY Finereader which has some PDF editing functions. Microsoft 365 is also used for basic PDF generation.
Find out more
Learn more about our freedom of information releases.
Information Governance Team: FOI.Requests@ros.gov.uk
If you would like documents included in this FOI response in an accessible format, please contact us with your preferences.