FOI Release: Fair trade purchasingPublished: 27 September 2023
Freedom of information class: How we procure goods and services
Information request under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA).
DocumentsFood and Service b. Fairtrade Policy.pdf - (131.2 KB)
FOI reference: CW-2023-414
Date received: 15 September 2023
Date responded: 27 September 2023
1. Information regarding annual fair trade purchasing within Registers of Scotland from 2022 to 2023.
2. A copy of our general policy on the procurement of fairly and ethically traded goods and services, in line with section 15(5)(b)(v) of the Procurement Reform (Scotland) Act 2014.
1. Registers of Scotland have not ordered any fair trade goods directly within the stated time periods.
We do however promote this down through our supply chains where appropriate. Fair trade statements are included in our invitations to tender. Below is an example from our catering contract that is currently out to tender.
RoS seeks to support the following in food procurement:
- Farm Assurance including schemes such as Red Tractor, and RSPCA Freedom Food, LEAF marque.
- Fairtrade, ethically traded and triple accredited schemes, specifically in relation to tea, coffee, and chocolate.
- Fish from sustainable sources, as approved by MSC and/or approved fish farm producers.
- Poultry - to Grade “A” quality standard, UK as a minimum.
- Eggs, or products containing eggs – UK Lion Quality ‘CLASS A’ or equivalent. Fresh eggs must be from free range hens.
- Beef and lamb – Product from Scotland, any other UK or EU country. Originating from a Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) scheme or higher which contains annual, independent farm and processor scheme inspections accredited to ISO/IEC 17065 Standards.
- Pork, bacon, and gammon - Product from Scotland, any other UK or EU country. Originating from a national or regional quality scheme recognised by the EU containing annual, independent farm and processor scheme inspections accredited to ISO/IEC 17065 standards.
Attached is our suppliers fair trade policy.
2.You can find our procurement strategy and sustainable procurement policy on our website.
Find out more
If you have a question or query about FOI requests, you can email the information governance team at: FOI.Requests@ros.gov.uk.