Crofting image

Crofting Register

The Crofting Registers is a free-to-search, public register of crofts, common grazings, and land held runrig. 'Runrig' means land that is divided into strips that belong to different people.

Like the Land Register, the Crofting Register is map-based. It shows defined extents of land and property on the Ordnance Survey map. It also contains information on the tenant or owner-occupier crofter on the land, as well as the landlord and/or the landowner of the registered land.

Crofting Reform Act

The register was introduced as a result of the Crofting Reform (Scotland) Act 2010. This act gave a clear distinction between the regulation of crofting - which is the responsibility of the Crofting Commission - and the registration of crofts, which now falls to the Keeper of the Registers of Scotland.


Registration in the Crofting Register is compulsory on the occurrence of certain events. These events mainly relate to actions that need a regulatory application to the Crofting Commission for approval to change some aspect of the croft land (for example, the assignation or division of a croft).

The Crofting Register is also open for voluntary registrations for either individual or community applications.

All applications for the registration of a croft - either voluntary or compulsory - should be submitted to the Crofting Commission in the first instance.

Community applications

We're committed to supporting and promoting community registration of crofts. We provide support to crofting communities through technical workshops, stakeholder meetings, email and telephone guidance, and the provision of Ordnance Survey extracts as the basis for a community map.


Crofting Register guidance and forms.


Search the Crofting Register.

Want to know more?

Contact us at one of our customer service centres, or email

In this section