Public Title Inaccuracy Enquiry

An inaccuracy is anything in your title sheet which is inaccurate in fact or law.  Your title sheet is your property’s registration in the Land Register.

If you notice an inaccuracy, you can use our Title Inaccuracy Enquiries service to ask that we rectify that inaccuracy.

Your title sheet

Your land documents include your title sheet and title plan.

You can request we rectify any part of your title sheet that you think is inaccurate.

These include:

  • Plan (boundaries or rights in a title plan)
  • Property or rights details
  • Proprietorship (registered owner details such as a name change)
  • Securities (mortgage or security details)
  • Burdens (limitations or responsibilities details)

You can only request that we rectify your title sheet through our online service and supplying evidence as required.

All requests to fix an inaccuracy will go through a ‘manifest test’.

Your request must pass this test before your land register documents can be amended.

Find out more about the manifest test.

Provided that the manifest test is passed, we can, for example:

  • fix errors in the proprietorship and securities section
  • show your new name after a name change
  • clarify overlapping property boundaries.

We cannot:

  • process an inaccuracy request without evidence
  • find the evidence for you
  • intervene in disputes.

We cannot give legal advice. If you have any concerns, you should consult independent legal advice.

What is not an inaccuracy

You should not use the TIE service if:

If you want to make a change to your title which is usually made by conveyancing, such as:

  • you have purchased the property and wish to be shown as the proprietor on the title sheet
  • you want to add your partner as a co-proprietor to your title sheet
  • you want to remove a co-proprietor from your title sheet
  • you have recently divorced; this alone is not enough to transfer the ownership of the property.

We would recommend you seek independent legal advice to help you with this.


Was this page helpful?